What Can You Take Back?


Properly disposed of the medicines your family use.

Pharmacy and law enforcement take-back programs accept most medicines. However some prescription medicines, like certain pain relievers and stimulants, are considered controlled substances and can only be returned to locations that accept controlled substances.


How do I dispose of my sharps or other wastes that are not accepted?
Some medical wastes, like sharps and thermometers, should be properly disposed of using the option that’s right for each waste.  For safe disposal of needles and syringes, ask your pharmacist or contact your local Health Department or call 1-800-RECYCLE (1-800-732-9253)..

What you can bring to a medicine take-back program

yes_check_circle-svg  YES: Items Accepted 2000px-no_sign-svg  NO: Items Not Accepted
yes_check_circle-svg Prescription Medicines: Law enforcement locations can accept all medicines including controlled substances such as opiate pain medications.  Additionally most Pharmacies can accept controlled substances such as opiate pain medication, but can non accept controlled substances such as Marijuana. 2000px-no_sign-svg  NO: Some Pharmacies cannot accept prescription medicines that are controlled substances such as opiate pain medications. Dispose of these at a locations that can take controlled substances.
yes_check_circle-svg  Over-the-counter medicines 2000px-no_sign-svg  NO: Needles/Lancets/Syringes
yes_check_circle-svg  Pet Medicines
2000px-no_sign-svg  NO: Thermometers

2000px-no_sign-svg  NO: Empty containers

2000px-no_sign-svg  NO: Bloody or infectious waste
2000px-no_sign-svg  NO: Personal care products(non-medicated shampoo, etc.)

2000px-no_sign-svg  NO: Hydrogen Peroxide